Historic Deadwood
Deadwood Historic District is a historic district in Deadwood, South Dakota. Its borders, at least as of designation in 1966, were defined by the city limits.

It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961. Deadwood gained its notoriety in the late 19th century as a lawless gold mining town. In 1874, General George Armstrong Custer led an expedition to the Black Hills territory owned by the Lakota. During his search, he found gold on what is known as French Creek, which is near Custer. This started the well known rush and Deadwood was formed in 1876. Within 6 months Deadwood's population quickly reached around 4,800 people. In mid 1876, Steve and Charlie Utter (most famous for being a friend of Wild Bill Hickok), started to import prostitutes and other business opportunities to help jump start the economy around Deadwood.
© Spring Creek Inn
23900 Hwy 385
Hill City, South Dakota 57745
1-605-574-2591
Reservations 1-800-456-2755
info@springcreekinn.com
South Dakota Website Design and Development